Friday, 23 December 2011

Christmas Stockings!

I am soooo glad to have these done and out of my house!(They actually went a week or two ago but I am a useless blogger!) Don't get me wrong I love them and think they are super cute! (In fact there may have been some squealing and jumping when the first one got into a stocking shape - and yes I need to get out more!!) However I am not a great Christmas person in general I try to avoid as much of it as possible. (Sorry Christmas lovers! =D)

Anyway...it all started because my sister wanted a stocking for me niece. I thought why not, I had a scrap bag of Kate Spain's 12 days of Christmas fabric and one stocking couldn't take too long! I used this tutorial as a basis and as you can prob tell I changed a few things as I went along! I also didn't use their template, simply because I had already drawn one out before hand. 

So I started sewing and the first mistake I made was to accidently make two front feet instead of a front and a back... this made me decide to make two stockings because what else was I going to do with half a stripey foot??! I figured I could get donate the spare to someone. Then when my sister found out she mentioned that she didn't have a stocking and she would happily give it a home! Which then resulted in me making a third for me BIL so that he didn't feel left out! So there you have it 3 stockings. I was definitely sick of the sight of them by the time I finished them. They weren't difficult at all I just took my time with them and there was some waiting for fabric to be delivered etc. 
The names are all hand embroidered just with a simple backstitch and bullion knots for the dot on the i. My embroidered skills are not good enough for anything fancy, and I liked the simple look of the backstitch.

Christmas Stockings


I hope everyone has a good Christmas and gets some relaxing done! I still have a couple of small presents to finish off (nothing like leaving it til the last minute!) and then I can look forward to it being done with for another year!

6 comments:

  1. cute stockings....have a wonderful christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Manda these are adorable! And your stitching is amazing! Wish I could stitch as evenly as that! Fab! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum made stockings for my sister and I many years ago, and we still have them, their fuzzy letters are still intact and they fit as much chocolate and little things in as they ever have! You have to admit, it's not everyday of the year you can find somebody looking for 3 stripey stockings! ;) Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderful stockings, such a lovely gift! I wish you a lovely holiday and all the best for the upcoming year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like something I would have done! Good save though -- your sister's family really benefited.
    Merry & Happy to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete